Vemox 250 is an aminobenzyl penicillin, which has a bactericidal effect as a result of inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cell walls.
The drug is indicated for oral therapy of the following bacterial infections caused by Amoxicillin-sensitive gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens:
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract, including infections of the ear, nose and throat: acute otitis media, acute sinusitis and bacterial pharyngitis;
- Lower respiratory tract infections: exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, community-acquired pneumonia;
- Infections of the lower urinary tract: cystitis;
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract: bacterial enteritis. Combination therapy may be required for infections caused by anaerobic microorganisms;
- Endocarditis: prevention of endocarditis in patients at risk for the development of endocarditis – for example, during dental procedures.
As a rule, infection therapy is recommended to continue for 2-3 days after the symptoms disappear. In the case of infections caused by β-hemolytic streptococcus, complete eradication of the pathogen requires therapy for at least 10 days.
The usual dose of Vemox ranges from 750 mg to 3g per day in divided doses. In some cases, it is recommended to limit the dose of 1500 mg per day in several doses.
Prolonged and repeated use of Vemox 250 can lead to the development of superinfection and colonization of resistant microorganisms or fungi, for example, oral and vaginal candidiasis.